[c-nsp] power requirement for WS-X614E-GE-45AT in reverse POE mode

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Apr 1 03:38:45 EDT 2015

Hi,

quick question, because I cannot find the answer on cisco.com.

If I run a WS-X6148E-GE-45AT in reverse POE mode (feeding power into
the 6500), but do not use the ports for actual switching, will the line
card still require power?

Background: I urgently need a few 10GE ports in a location, and have a
spare 6504 chassis, Sup720 and 6704-10GE lying around, but no power supplies,
so we decided to power the chassis by using 20 POE+ injectors, feeding
30W each (= 600W in total) into a WS-X6148E-GE-45AT POE+ capable line card.

This is just enough to power Sup720-3B (280W) and 6704-10GE (295W), but
not enough if the 6148E also needs power for itself in that configuration.

Adding more POE+ injectors could be done, but would be somewhat of a hassle
as we only have 20 on-site, and the cabling gets even harder to manage if
we need to add more POE+ injectors...

thanks for your advice,

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/