[c-nsp] Limited number of VFIs

Mark Mckillop (mmckillo) mmckillo at cisco.com
Wed Apr 1 11:04:34 EDT 2015

Hi Mark, Ulrik, MK,

This is the expected behaviour as you’ve said there is a limit of 26x VFI’s on the ME3600X.

If you follow the link and scroll down a paragraph of two you can see the scale of the platform for each of the different SDM templates that can be applied based on the platform and license level:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/metro/me3600x_3800x/software/release/15-4_1_S/release/notes/ol31008.html#pgfId-922176

I will say that the ME3600X is positioned as an access device rather than aggregation so it’s been scaled with this type of deployment in mind. Typical place I see them used are as a H-VPLS spoke (so EoMPLS only needed) or in a Unified MPLS deployment (meaning they don’t need to support the scale of a fully fledged PE). The ME3800X is sized for aggregation requirements so has larger TCAM meaning more buffers, services, VFI’s, Bridge-domains etc..

Regards
Mark McKillop