[c-nsp] 3850?

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Thu Apr 9 11:45:45 EDT 2015

The input queue is the software side of things.
Things that are handled in hardware should be on the no buffer line.
Why are you getting so much software bound traffic?
Things that are getting dropped due to output queueing are going to show as output drops.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/116089-technote-switches-output-drops-qos-00.html

Another place they will show up is the QoS command: sh mls qos interface <interface id> statistics

On these model switches things tend to get dropped due to lack of buffers or output dropped.
If you are having input queue drops it is usually due to things getting sent to software.
Usual suspects are multicast traffic, broadcasts, or routing protocols.
You can also get direct attacks against the switch if it is operating in routed mode.

And in that situation upgrading the switch isn't going to solve the problem.
If it is actually traffic based considering upgrading to a 4948E.
It is a much more capable switch.

Mack McBride | Network Architect | ViaWest, Inc.
O: 720.891.2502 | mack.mcbride at viawest.com | www.viawest.com | LinkedIn | Twitter | YouTube