[c-nsp] 3850?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Apr 9 14:51:43 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 11:17:17AM -0400, Adam Greene wrote:
> -          Flexible NetFlow with NBAR

*this*

I'm pretty sure the 3750 cannot do netflow in hardware (even less NBAR) - so
it's going up to software, and its tiny CPU is not up to the job.

I have no experience with 3850, but I bet a beer that it is not capable
of doing "netflow with NBAR" in hardware either - and I would doubt even
"basic netflow", but maybe things improved there in recent years.

NBAR is hard for anything "in hardware".

What traffic levels do you realistically need on the routing side of
things?  If you do switching on a switch (a 3750 is fairly good for that)
and offload routing to something with a faster CPU and vlan subinterfaces,
it might work out - depending on traffic.  Like, a used 7201, for up to
200-300 Mbit/s ...

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de