[c-nsp] Cheap BGP router for ~20k prefixes

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Apr 30 10:53:06 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 10:35:49AM -0400, Dan Brisson wrote:
> Looking for suggestions for a device (switch/router) that can speak BGP
> and do around 20k prefixes.  The other requirement is minimum 500Mb/s of
> throughput, which seems to throw a low-end Cisco router out of the mix.
> I know a 3560 switch can do BGP and wouldn't have the throughput
> limitations the router lines have.  The cost is probably going to creep
> up again though when adding Enterprise code for BGP support.

ASR920 or so...  throughput will be fine, price of 2000$ "should" be
achievable (depending on interface and license options).

The caveat, of course, is that it will do exactly 20k prefixe, no more
- so if you might go "up to 30k", it's not the platform

Or a used 7201 / 7200/NPE-G2...  dirt cheap, 500k+ prefixes, but not much
more than 500Mbit/s throughput.

Your triangle of "number of prefixes / price / throughput" is hitting a
somewhat weak spot in Cisco's portfolio...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de