[c-nsp] Cheap BGP router for ~20k prefixes

Dan Brisson dbrisson at uvm.edu
Thu Apr 30 10:35:49 EDT 2015

Looking for suggestions for a device (switch/router) that can speak BGP
and do around 20k prefixes.  The other requirement is minimum 500Mb/s of
throughput, which seems to throw a low-end Cisco router out of the mix.
I know a 3560 switch can do BGP and wouldn't have the throughput
limitations the router lines have.  The cost is probably going to creep
up again though when adding Enterprise code for BGP support.

I'm really hoping to stay in the sub $2000 range, if possible.

Mikrotik has some very impressive gear and I know folks on this list are
mixed on them.  But something like their CCR1036-12G-4S has impressive
specs and an even more impressive price tag - ~$850.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-dan