[c-nsp] BVI Configuration on 1600 Access Points

Christopher Werny cwerny at ernw.de
Wed Aug 26 12:39:13 EDT 2015

Good Evening,

I am currently in the process of setting up three new (autonomous) access
points for our office and running into an issue with the configuration of
the BVI interface.

What I want to achieve is creating a BVI Interface in separate VLAN (our
Management VLAN 232 in this specific case) so that the AP is tagging all
packets with the respective VLAN 232. However, after doing the configuration
the AP is not reachable on the configured IP address. The AP is connected to
a 2960 switch and the port configured as trunk. As soon as I configure the
native vlan to 232 on the trunk port the management IP of the AP becomes
reachable. This indicates that the AP is not tagging the packets at all.

The access points are running:

Cisco IOS Software, C1600 Software (AP1G2-K9W7-M), Version 15.2(2)JB2,
RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Relevant config snippets below:

interface GigabitEthernet0.232
 encapsulation dot1Q 232
 no ip proxy-arp
 no ip route-cache
 no cdp enable
 bridge-group 232
 bridge-group 232 spanning-disabled
 no bridge-group 232 source-learning

interface BVI232
 ip address 172.30.99.207 255.255.255.0
 no ip proxy-arp
 no ip route-cache
 no keepalive

bridge 232 route ip

So, what am I missing?  It might be something completely trivial, and feel
free to slap me if this is the case ;)

Thanks for your time!

Best,
Christopher