[c-nsp] BVI Configuration on 1600 Access Points

Emille Blanc emille at abccomm.com
Wed Aug 26 14:26:32 EDT 2015

In my experience, 'bridge foo route ip' on BVI's other than bridge '1',
is broken on all Aironet products that have come across my desk, since
the 1200 series.
Moving bridge-group 1 to the VLAN you wish to use for management -
though goofy to look at - works.
This comes with the caveat of your management VLAN having to be dot1q
native on your subinterfaces.

Eg;
interface GigabitEthernet0.232
  encapsulation dot1Q 232 native
  no ip proxy-arp
  no ip route-cache
  no cdp enable
  bridge-group 1
  bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled
  no bridge-group 1 source-learning

interface BVI1
  ip address 172.30.99.207 255.255.255.0
  no ip proxy-arp
  no ip route-cache
  no keepalive

bridge 1 route ip

In attempts to work this out, I always run into issues with CEF dropping
traffic citing "wrong cable, interface BVIfoo"
Removing the old BVI once configured, still leaves some stale oddness in
CEF which has required a reboot to clean up.

If you find another way around this, I'd be interested to hear it!