[c-nsp] Equipment for a large-ish LAN event

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Wed Dec 9 04:15:32 EST 2015

> On Dec 8, 2015, at 5:19 PM, Laurent Dumont <ldumont at coldnorthadmin.com> wrote:
> * We are planning for slightly over 2000 seats(players).

Okay.  I think right now you’re making this more complicated than you need to.

If you need 2000x 1G access ports, the easiest way to aggregate that up would be to use a single 10G uplink from each access switch.  48x access switches with 48x 1G ports each, aggregating into a single core switch with 48x 10G ports.  That gives you 2304x 1G access ports.

The access switches should be 2960X-48TD-L, the core can be any of a bunch of different possible ones…  We use a lot of N9K-C9396PX which are nice because they also give you 12x 40G ports, which are good for servers.  List price on all of the above comes to just a hair over $300k.

If you really want to have routing in your core, you’re looking at an ASR-9006 with a pair of A9K-36X10GE-SE cards, which would set you back another $1.1M at list price.

In addition to all that, you’ll need optics.  If the distance limit works for you, a whole lot of SFP-H10GB-ACU10M will be less finicky than fiber.  If you go with third-party, you can get up to 20M instead of the 10M max distance that Cisco resell.

                                -Bill