[c-nsp] Equipment for a large-ish LAN event

Laurent Dumont ldumont at coldnorthadmin.com
Wed Dec 9 11:20:04 EST 2015

Hi gents,

Thanks for all the comments, we really appreciate the input. I'll try to
answer a few of the questions.

  * QOS is something we looked into but were were in a particular
    situation. We have plenty of bandwidth (at least, we had...) for
    game and generic internet traffic. That said, since we are scaling
    up in terms of players, it might end up being something we work on
    this year in order to guarantee a stable experience.
  * Game traffic should be a very small part of our BW. What is probably
    more problematic are game downloads (Steam, Origin etc.), Winows
    updates and Torrents. I really want to find the time for a proper
    Netflow setup so that I can have really accurate data on
    protocol/port breakdown.
  * We never had any incidents with players DDOS-ing other participants
    but we do have monitoring in place in order to prevent any abuse.
    Players, sometime with good reason, are quite serious about anything
    regarding lag and latency.
  * Because of distance between the tables and our core, the event room
    physical layout, we can't directly go from our access into our core.
    It would simplify our design a lot, that is very true. That said, I
    would try to run at least two cables from my access to my core.
  * If cost is not too prohibitive, we will use armored fiber.
  * DHCP Snooping, BPDU for STP and IPV6 are all on our list!

As previously stated, I want to thank all of your for your insight.

Laurent