[c-nsp] OSPF flapping ME3400

Lukas Tribus luky-37 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 9 17:00:55 EST 2015

Hi Lee,

> Since the traffic was 800Kpps I suspect it was
> just too much for the switch to deal with.

Are you sure you are not just running out of bandwidth to handle this
attack? You are talking about a 100Mbit link and an attack of 800Kpps.
With 64 byte packets, thats about 390Mbit/s, 4 times the load the link
can handle.

When the primary OSPF adjacency drops because of congestion, traffic
will shift to another OSPF link, causing the same OSPF drop there.

So you will see more/other/all OSPF adjacencies drop on this box,
but I don't think the ME3400 is the problem. I think lack of QoS
on the transport links to prioritize OSPF is the problem.

Regards,

Lukas