[c-nsp] DSCP and Queue counters on 7600s

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 14 17:37:29 EST 2015

Looks like CR/LF got mangled in my previous reply attempt, trying again...

=====

In the past I have used a qos policy that "does nothing" to monitor the traffic. It at least lets me see the number of bytes that matched each DSCP, even if not being able to see in real time what is in the queues. The one below only shows CS3 traffic, but you would just build it up to add the other things you need to monitor. The "set" statement doesn't really do anything, because the packets should already be marked with what they are being set to, it's just there to force the box to count the packets because it has to do something on them, so "touches" the packet and forces a counter increment. Unfortunately it doesn't show packet count (just bytes and rate in bps). You could apply the same policy in the outbound direction to show similar info.

class-map match-any class-dscp24
match ip dscp cs3

policy-map monitor-qos
class class-dscp24
set ip dscp 24
class class-default
set ip dscp 0

int gig7/16
service-policy input monitor-qos

#show policy-map int gig7/16
GigabitEthernet7/16

Service-policy input: monitor-qos

class-map: class-dscp24 (match-any)
Match: ip dscp cs3 (24)
set dscp 24:
Earl in slot 5 :
0 bytes
5 minute offered rate 0 bps
aggregate-forwarded 0 bytes

class-map: class-default (match-any)
Match: any
set dscp 0:
Earl in slot 5 :
536 bytes
5 minute offered rate 32 bps
aggregate-forwarded 536 bytes

So you can see that since I applied the policy there has been 536 bytes of traffic inbound that matched the default class (this interface is used for testing stuff, so doesn't really have anything much attached to it).

Two other options come to mind:

1. SPAN/mirror the port and hook something useful up to see what is happening (eg. tcpdump, wireshark, etc).
2. I have never used it, but there is a thing called "PFC QoS statistics data export" which MIGHT do what you want (purely based on what the description of it says).

Best of luck,
Tony.