[c-nsp] Non Cisco SFP

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Mon Feb 2 12:36:34 EST 2015

> On Feb 2, 2015, at 7:29 AM, Rick Martin <rick.martin at arkansas.gov> wrote:
> We are also looking at aftermarket DAC or Twinax cables, what has been your experience with those in a Cisco environment? We have had a couple dozen Dell DAC's connecting Dell servers to HP 5900's with good success but have not tried any in our Nexus environment.

Most _Cisco branded_ 40gb DAC and twinax cables are incompatible with Cisco interfaces.  We’ve been having horrible go-arounds with the TAC that keep resulting in the ordering tool compatibility matrix being pared down.  Note that you can no longer order 40gb interfaces in UCS servers, by and large, although they’re still orderable as a spare…  That’s because none of the 40gb DAC or twinax cables could actually interoperate between that interface and a Nexus switch.  Not sure whose idea it was to make them orderable before doing any lab testing.

10gb are all fine, in our experience.

                                -Bill