[c-nsp] IOS XR needs PIM&MLD for clients to receive multicast stream

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Feb 10 09:14:57 EST 2015

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015, Adam Vitkovsky wrote:

> Hi Mikael,
>
> Have you enabled the CE facing interfaces under "router igmp" please? (oh and XR uses IGMPv3 by default).
> - but can't recall if it worked at the end or the PIM was indeed necessary.

I am not using IGMP since this is IPv6 and I'm using MLD instead.

So I have now worked around this issue by letting XR enable PIM&MLD on all
interfaces (using the "interface all" statement under
"multicast-routing"), but implementing a PIM IPv6-wide neighbor-filter to
only allow the router-to-router interfaces to form PIM neighborship, plus
configuring "version" directly under "router mld".

This way it seems I get away from having interface-unique entries under
router pim and router mld.

I still don't understand why the design choice to require PIM to be
running on a client-interface, was made.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se