[c-nsp] ibgp on 6509 with sup2?

Joe Pruett joey at spiretech.com
Tue Feb 10 18:42:23 EST 2015

given what i have read about tcam sizes, ram needs, etc. this may not be
possible at all, but....

i have two 7206vxr with a single bgp feed into each and ibgp between
them. then i have a 6509/sup2 behind them getting ospf default routes
(with different metrics) from the 7206s. so half of my traffic is being
sent to the "wrong" router and has to be bounced to the other. our
traffic is low enough, that really isn't a huge problem, but i'd like to
make it more "correct". the obvious way is just join the 6509 into the
ibgp fabric and life is good. but my guess is that the 6509 would fall
over quite quickly.

with bgp filtering might i be able to install just routes of /20 or
shorter (hoping that is a small enough number of routes). or would bgp
still consume all the routes before it filters and thus run out of ram?
i'd don't think i want to experiment with this in production :-).

another option i've thought of is to use ip redirects, so the 6509 route
cache would only fill with used routes, but it seems that if ospf (or
any routing protocol) is enabled, then redirects are just ignored.

i'm under the impression that injecting some subset of bgp into ospf
would be a bad idea as well as ospf just doesn't cope with large numbers
of routes.

and from my reading it sounds like even going to a sup 2t wouldn't
really solve the problem? although most of that discussion seems to be
external bgp, maybe ibgp wouldn't run into issues?

oh, and i run full ipv6 as well, just to make it interesting.

is there any other option i am overlooking that would make this feel
more correct? and not cost too much?