[c-nsp] ibgp on 6509 with sup2?

Blake Dunlap ikiris at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 14:40:44 EST 2015

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 10:45 AM, Joe Pruett <joey at spiretech.com> wrote:

> my reading of max-prefix doesn't make it very useful. either you reset
> the session after hitting the max, or you just log a warning and then
> continue accepting prefixes. i'll just be very stingy with my export to
> begin with and see how things go.

It's there as a safety valve, to prevent the boiler from exploding,
not as a normally used tool to protect from a few bad routes.

The alternative is you exhaust fib space, the 6500 proceeds to forward
in software, and likely hard crashes due to the load. Even if it
doesn't hard crash, until recent software it required a hard reset to
resolve the exhaust condition even if the route count receded back to
manageable levels.

Personally, I'd take the session loss over network self destruction, but YMMV.

-Blake