[c-nsp] ibgp on 6509 with sup2?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Feb 12 04:32:34 EST 2015

On 11/Feb/15 21:40, Blake Dunlap wrote:
> It's there as a safety valve, to prevent the boiler from exploding,
> not as a normally used tool to protect from a few bad routes. The
> alternative is you exhaust fib space, the 6500 proceeds to forward in
> software, and likely hard crashes due to the load. Even if it doesn't
> hard crash, until recent software it required a hard reset to resolve
> the exhaust condition even if the route count receded back to
> manageable levels. Personally, I'd take the session loss over network
> self destruction, but YMMV.

Does anyone know whether the 6500/7600 supports BGP-SD? That is one way
to have the full table in RAM but limit how much of that table is
downloaded into FIB.

For any routes that are not in FIB, you can have 0/0 or ::/0 to handle
that traffic.

This way, if you have any downstream customers that need a full table
from your 6500, you can still send it to them even if your FIB is not
holding the full table.

Mark.