[c-nsp] slow convergence on edge BGP routers

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Feb 27 05:43:59 EST 2015

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 02:42:44AM +0100, jure brkljacic wrote:
> When i shutdown the "upstream link" on EDGE1 all the traffic is rerouted to
> EDGE 2 router, but i see 15sec complete outage. (the path the end system
> takes in "internal router" ->>EDGE1->>EDGE2)

I'd assume that this is external reconvergence - "The Internet" taking
its time to re-route packets back to you via Edge 2.

> how to minimize the traffic loss?

That very much depends on where the two BGP sessions are going to.  If it's
two different ISPs, there really isn't a way to make the Internet converge
faster for you (there's work on graceful shutdown communities, which would
help quite a lot, but that is not yet implemented or rolled out at a wider
scale).

If both links go to the same ISP, talk to them...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de