[c-nsp] ME3600X IPv6 ND Control & Data Plane Problems

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Feb 28 08:17:58 EST 2015

Hi all.

I have a bunch of ME3600X's running IOS 15.4(3)S1.

We are seeing two interesting issues, one of them over a year old:

    1. With a simple IPv6 ACL applied to the uplink ports, ND does not
complete upon a router start or clearing of the ND cache. Removing the
IPv6 ACL enables ND to complete.
        Once the IPv6 ACL is re-applied, subsequent ND exchanges and
data plane IPv6 traffic works. If the switch reboots or the ND cache is
cleared, the problem resurfaces. We've
        had this issue since 2014 on various versions of code, but we
only just discovered the relationship to ND today. Moreover, the very
same ACL is used on all other IOS, IOS XE
        and IOS XR platforms without issue (ASR1000, CRS, ASR9000, 7200,
3725, e.t.c.). Software-hardware relationship issue unique to the ME3600X?

    2. On a particular ME3600X device, ND does not seem to work. So the
switch only discovers link-local IPv6 addresses. The unicast global
addresses are never discovered.
        Neighbor is a Juniper MX480, which has the right ND data.
However, the ME3600X has only link-local data. That said, IPv6 data
plane traffic works if pings are sourced from or
        sent to the ME3600X's Loopback address. If any traffic is
sourced from or sent to the uplink port IPv6 addresses (including simple
point-to-point pings to the MX480's), it doesn't
        work. No amount of clearing of the ND cache on both sides or
rebooting of the box helps. This is the only box among over 35x units
that has this issue. Hardware?

Has anyone else experienced these issues, on this or other ME3600X code?

We've opened a TAC case (2nd time for the 1st issue, above), but we all
know that's going to be a pendulum.

Cheers,

Mark.