[c-nsp] ME3600X IPv6 ND Control & Data Plane Problems

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Sat Feb 28 12:38:24 EST 2015

On 28/02/2015 13:17, Mark Tinka wrote:
>         Once the IPv6 ACL is re-applied, subsequent ND exchanges and
> data plane IPv6 traffic works. If the switch reboots or the ND cache is
> cleared, the problem resurfaces.

I wonder is this a screwup with the implicit ND permit?  Do your ipv6 ACLs
contain explicit denys at the end?  If so, you'll need something like this
before the end:

permit icmp any any nd-ns
permit icmp any any nd-na

Easy to check if this fixes the problem.  You might want to add a
destination address of fe80::/16 to the filter to make sure that you don't
open up a security hole.

>     2. On a particular ME3600X device, ND does not seem to work. So the
> switch only discovers link-local IPv6 addresses. The unicast global
> addresses are never discovered.

is this box definitely running either 15.4(3)S1 or 15.3(3)S4 or later?
This is to rule out CSCuo31527, which I've been bitten with extensively.

Nick