[c-nsp] ISR 4451-X route table size

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Jan 15 05:37:18 EST 2015

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 02:06:05AM +0100, Lukas Tribus wrote:
> Perhaps the software- vs hardware-forwarding distinction is just becoming
> obsolete with those platforms, as the technical reality is somewhere in
> between.

If you call "hardware" something that is "pre-programmed and what is not
there cannot be done", indeed, it's all software (even ASR9000 and 12k
with their field-upgradable microcode) :-)

I tend to make the distinction at "there's a general purpose CPU that
handles data plane and control plane" vs. "the general purpose CPU does
control plane, and dedicated 'magic stuff' handles packet forwarding" -
which would make the 4451 "software" and the ASR1k "hardware"...

It will be interesting to see whether theX4451 scheduler is smart enough
to avoid the usual "software forwarding" issues, like "CPU too busy with
forwarding, routing protocols / management access suffers".

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de