[c-nsp] ISR 4451-X route table size

Fernando García Fernández listas at cutre.net
Thu Jan 15 06:07:21 EST 2015

HI Gert

> El 15/1/2015, a las 11:37, Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de> escribió:
>
> Hi,
>
> I tend to make the distinction at "there's a general purpose CPU that
> handles data plane and control plane" vs. "the general purpose CPU does
> control plane, and dedicated 'magic stuff' handles packet forwarding" -
> which would make the 4451 "software" and the ASR1k "hardware”…

Interesting your distinction because Cisco says that the 4451:
"The product’s innovative hardware design splits the control and data planes between two multi-core CPUs”

and

"	• High-quality user experience
During peak loads, the multi-core CPU architecture running Cisco IOS-XE can enable resiliency by using separate control and data services planes.”

I’m not sure about it but it seems (just impression) that one cpu executes IOS and other do the packet managing i.e. magic stuff...