[c-nsp] Remote management console servers?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jul 15 06:15:04 EDT 2015

On 15/07/15 00:40, CiscoNSP List wrote:

> We've just started using Opengear

The Opengear boxes get a lot of good word-of-mouth, but we've just tried
a couple and to be honest, I'm a bit underwhelmed.

One particularly irritating feature is that the console logging - to
files/NFS/etc. - interprets \r as \n, so when the router logs:

line\r\n

...the log contains

line\n
\n

This is kind of annoying, as one of the useful things about a serial
console, aside from recovery, is logging console/crash output. Mangling
it is unhelpful.

There's a bunch of other minor annoyances, but the main point I wanted
to make is that they're not universally liked by people who use the ;o)