[c-nsp] Cisco ASR1002x + SPA Adapter (SPA-1X10GE-L-V2) Issues

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Jul 28 06:33:29 EDT 2015

On 28/Jul/15 11:35, Troy Boutso wrote:
> Hey guys
>
> Hopefully a real easy one, just incase I'm missing something obvious here.
>
> I have a Cisco ASR1002x router which is in urgent need of a 10GE upgrade.
> So, I've purchased a 10Gigabit Ethernet SPA adapter - SPA-1X10GE-L-V2
> <http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6267/products_data_sheet0900aecd804dc62d.html>.
> I bought it from a Network hardware reseller. Cut a long story short.. I've
> gone to install the card into any one of the 3 SPA port slots on the router
> and it isn't being detected.
>
> I know the card should support OIR so installing it should be simple and
> easy.
> The card isn't being recognised at ALL. Nothing. The light doesn't blink
> nor does the router even think there is anything plugged into ANY of the
> slots. Here are some show commands, which I think should be useful to
> assist.
>
> I've installed SPA cards into ASR1001s before, though they were Gigabit. It
> was simple. Plug in and good to go. Nothing else was needed!
>
> Am I missing something obvious? Do I need to issue some commands on this
> router to "activate" it this time round?
> I shouldn't need to reload the router?

Your IOS version is current, so it should be able to pick it up. If it's
not, it's probably a DOA or non-genuine SPA.

Can you get another one sent? And before your supplier sends it, can
they test it for you and send you some output to confirm?

When you do get this going, don't forget that the ASR1002-X ships with a
default 5Gbps forwarding license. If you want to use that 10Gbps SPA
fully, you'll need to look into that as well.

Mark.