[c-nsp] Need working ASR1k pppoe police/shaping

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Wed Jul 29 21:00:22 EDT 2015

Hi,

     I am trying to determine a basic configuration for my Asr1k that
will allow me to establish some basic policing / shaping for my PPPoE
subscribers. I have read a lot of the cisco ISG documents and frankly
don't understand any of them; there isn't a clear explanation of the
interrelationships between policiy maps, class maps, control classes and
all the other numerous moving parts that all have to work in order for
any of it to work. No other 'examples' I have encountered online work
either, they all barf with various errors or simply fail to engage for
silent unexplained reasons. I have asked here a few times generally and
have not gotten a working solution. I still need some help!

     I have radius and am terminating pppoe sessions. On my c7201, I am
using CAR from radius to establish basic bandwidth limits per subscriber
(for those who need it set at the bras end, where their own cpe isn't
doing it for them), and this works well. I can connect via pppoe on
1gbps ethernet and have the radius attributes set so that the pppoe
session is limited to 10mbps down / 1mbps up and it works flawlessly,
and is quit easy to understand and use.

     I would like to be able to replicate these results on ASR1k
initially where the rate limits are being established in radius only and
the ASR just polices the pppoe session. As a future stretch goal, I'd
also like to be able to do finer grained QoS and help my end users make
better use of their pipe.

     Does anyone have a pointer to any examples for either or both of
these that work on ASR1k on the IOS-XE 3.10.xx?

Mike-