[c-nsp] Need working ASR1k pppoe police/shaping

Lukas Tribus luky-37 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 30 04:19:35 EDT 2015

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to determine a basic configuration for my Asr1k that
> will allow me to establish some basic policing / shaping for my PPPoE
> subscribers. I have read a lot of the cisco ISG documents and frankly
> don't understand any of them; there isn't a clear explanation of the
> interrelationships between policiy maps, class maps, control classes and
> all the other numerous moving parts that all have to work in order for
> any of it to work. No other 'examples' I have encountered online work
> either, they all barf with various errors or simply fail to engage for
> silent unexplained reasons. I have asked here a few times generally and
> have not gotten a working solution. I still need some help!
>
> I have radius and am terminating pppoe sessions. On my c7201, I am
> using CAR from radius to establish basic bandwidth limits per subscriber
> (for those who need it set at the bras end, where their own cpe isn't
> doing it for them), and this works well. I can connect via pppoe on
> 1gbps ethernet and have the radius attributes set so that the pppoe
> session is limited to 10mbps down / 1mbps up and it works flawlessly,
> and is quit easy to understand and use.
>
> I would like to be able to replicate these results on ASR1k
> initially where the rate limits are being established in radius only and
> the ASR just polices the pppoe session. As a future stretch goal, I'd
> also like to be able to do finer grained QoS and help my end users make
> better use of their pipe.
>
> Does anyone have a pointer to any examples for either or both of
> these that work on ASR1k on the IOS-XE 3.10.xx?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/bbdsl/configuration/xe-3s/asr1000/bba-xe-3s-asr1000-book/bba-ppoe-ses-q-rad-xe.html

Which basically boils down to:
The following AV-pairs define the QoS policy to be applied dynamically to the session:
"ip:sub-qos-policy-in=<name of the QoS policy in ingress direction>"
"ip:sub-qos-policy-out=<name of egress policy>"

You need to configure the policy-maps on the box first, obviously.

Regards,

Lukas