[c-nsp] effect of 'mls qos'

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Jun 1 14:13:38 EDT 2015

Hi Mike,

On Sun, 2015-05-31 at 23:02 -0700, Mike wrote:
>      I have a question regarding the effect of 'mls qos' on a 3560g
> switch, with no other configuration.
>
>      I did some testing and it seemed to me that the aggregate thruput
> of my switch, which has 5 port channels with 2 gigE ports each, would
> drastically drop to below 10mbps for a standard file copy on nfs. And
> when I removed 'mls qos', the thruput would climb back up to 500 -
> 700mbps range on that same file copy.

As the others say, enabling "mls qos" and doing nothing else will give
your BE traffic less buffer space than it already had.

You can enable QoS and adjust the defaults to get something noticeably
better than without "mls qos". Take a look at this template we have been
using for some time now:

  http://ampere.rathlev.dk/3560-3750-QoS-basis-template.txt

--
Peter