[c-nsp] Redundant DHCP Server

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Jun 2 06:46:53 EDT 2015

On 2/Jun/15 12:42, Peter Rathlev wrote:
> Good point. In our case though it's typically mobile data connections
> (mostly 3G) so the delay and potential packet loss means a local DHCP
> server was preferable.
>
> But generally a central DHCP is clearly a win. :-)

For folk doing distributed BNG's, running a local DHCP server on the
router is easy if you are detailed in assigning address space to BNG's.
You only have to configure things once, on the router.

With centralized DHCP servers, you have to configure the IP address
assignments both on the DHCP server and then also on the BNG. In a large
network, it's easy to make mistakes here, especially if you're looking
at redundant DHCP servers.

But either option is fine. One problem with DHCP servers on a router is
whether the router has the control plane to handle it. Not a problem if
you have a modern ASR9000 or MX router, or equivalent. Problematic if
it's something smaller.

I've used both options, it's use-case dependent.

Mark.