[c-nsp] Cisco console port to USB

Jeremy Bresley brez at brezworks.com
Mon Mar 2 13:22:13 EST 2015

On 3/2/2015 10:21 AM, Matthew Huff wrote:
> Since Newer PC laptops and all Mac Laptops no longer have a serial port, what are people using to connect to Cisco console ports from laptops? Does someone make a direct USB to Cisco console port (RJ45) or do people buy a serial to usb cable and use the stock cisco cable?

Two options depending on the types of devices.  Either the USB to Serial
adapter and keep using your old baby blue cable off that, or get a 6 or
10' long USB A to Mini-B cable and install the driver if you're using it
on 2960X/3560X/ISR G2/ISR4Ks and have a 115.2K direct USB serial
connection.  I haven't tried a USB connection to the 4500E Sup7E/Sup8E
or 4500X's, they have an old full-size type B port on them.  Looks like
some of the WLC models have the option for using a USB console port as
well.  It seems like a lot of the newer devices are starting to include
the USB console option on them, if you're supporting things like
ASR9K/ME3600X or older SP gear, this may not be an option though.

The driver file to search for is Cisco_usbconsole_driver_3_1.zip.

Jeremy "TheBrez" Bresley
brez at brezworks.com