[c-nsp] OSPF and BGP relationship

Clint Wade jarod.wade at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 20:11:03 EST 2015

Everything I'm stating below here is under the assumption you're receiving
a full route table from the ISP's and not just a default route. If all
you're getting is a default, you're looking at something like policy based
routing or possibly PFR to fix this as far as I know.

Weight and Local Pref to affect outbound --> You'll want it higher on the
one you want to be the exit point and as long as you have an iBGP
connection between your two BGP edge routers you'll be ok. If no iBGP link
between your two edge routers exists then affecting outbound is impossible
as you're limited by OSPF and the best you can do is force one to be the
outbound for all prefixes. Another way I've seen done what you're doing is
to originate 1 default in OSPF as Type 1 and the other as Type 2, obviously
the exit path to the Type 1 route is preferred, but once it makes it to
that edge router you'll have to rely on BGP path selection to affect which
edge router to egress for specific prefixes, which is why the iBGP link is
required.

AS Path and MED to affect inbound --> Usually done by sending communities
to your providers to affect their routes; Each provider has a list of
communities they accept to perform functions such as 'Add 4x AS# to
existing AS_Path' or 'Set local pref' on the provider side. You'll need to
use a looking glass server to verify these changes, and you'll want to
check them from a couple different providers looking glass to see what
effects it has on routing outside of the provider you're trying to traffic
engineer. Keep in mind you have to be careful as some providers transit to
other provider connections can get saturated which can lead to some
unexpected side affects, so you'll have to keep a close eye on performance
(latency, etc.)