[c-nsp] OSPF and BGP relationship

CWO Network Operations network at cwo.com
Tue Mar 3 10:40:29 EST 2015

Thanks Adam for your feedback… below are some answers/comments to your questions/statements.

> On Mar 3, 2015, at 2:43 AM, Adam Vitkovsky <Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Ok so to break this down:
> You have two AS exists.

Correct, I have one AS number connecting to two upstream providers and two different routers (router A & B).

> Each AS exit receives a default route from upstream.

Correct

> Each AS exit generates an OSPF default route (setting different metric to influence as-exit policy).

Correct

> So you are using OSPF default route as an attractor to get the traffic to AS exits.
> But since the AS exits only have a default route there's not much they can offer.
> When you say "as specific as I like" what do you have on your mind please?

Right now, I don’t have much control on outbound traffic, since OSPF only gives me the a all or nothing option (in regards to where traffic exits).
If I were to be using bgp only, I could use route maps to route specific src addresses to either of my 2 AS exits, however, because of OSPF’s lower igp metric, it is the one in “control”.
Now, I could be missing something here… that’s the reason I’ve posted my question on here. ;-)
In my current network design, OSPF is needed because behind each of my edge routers are other large networks (running multiple ospf areas).
One idea is to only use OSPF behind each edge router and inject those ospf routes into iBGP. Doing that would eliminate having to deal with the lower igp metric of OSPF between my 4 edge routers.

> If you would have the full BGP table coming from upstream providers and being exchanged between the two AS exits i.e. BGP speakers A and B.
> You could advertise OSPF default route with the same metric from both of them -just to attract traffic to the AS exits (this would distribute the AS egress traffic nicely based on the closest proximity (best metric) to a particular AS exit from a given node in the network).

Since I’m only receiving a default route from my upstream providers at the moment, would injecting a default route via ospf (with the same metric) cause a “load balanced” outbound distribution?

> Once the packet enters one of the BGP speakers A or B it will be routed based on the longest match route (so not following the default) for the packets destination -this could mean it could either use the AS exit local to the router or can be forwarded towards the other AS exit based on a better local reference for that given subnet for instance.
> But this "playing" with AS exits where some destinations are preferred over one AS exit and other destination preferred via other AS exit will necessarily introduce asymmetric routing that is packets leaving via exit A the return traffic might come back via B.

Thanks
JB