[c-nsp] ospf (passive-interface default)

Aaron aaron1 at gvtc.com
Tue Mar 3 16:27:51 EST 2015

Handy Lab ?!  You need GNS3.

As I understand it, that ...

router ospf 1
network 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.3 area 1

... will only run ospf hellos mcasted out interfaces that fall within that
range.... 10.10.10.0,  10.10.10.1, 10.10.10.2, 10.10.10.3... yes I believe
10.10.10.0 is possible too, according to some funky /31 thing that I heard
of a long time ago... yep, I just tried it in my .... ahhhrrm...  handy gns3
lab ;)

big-sp#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
big-sp(config)#int l 0
big-sp(config-if)#ip address 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.254 sec
% Warning: use /31 mask on non point-to-point interface cautiously
big-sp(config-if)#do sh run in l 0 | in ip address 10.10.10.0
 ip address 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.254 secondary

For more control you could also actually specify the exact ip address of the
interface... then you know it will only run on that interface...

Conf t
Int g1/0
Ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252

router ospf 1
network 10.10.10.1 0.0.0.0 area 1

....i tend to be very specific with that too.

There are cases where I know I want all interfaces to be in ospf , always,
even new interfaces and I don't want to have to specify anything else under
ospf for new interfaces...

Conf t
Router ospf 1
Network 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 area 0

BTW, incase you didn't know... Look how cool IOS XR is.... it actually does
it per interface AND nicely organized under the ospf construct

...kind of cool that you don't have to specify subnets and secondary
subnets... just advertises any and all subnets that are on the following
interfaces...

router ospf 1
 log adjacency changes
 router-id 10.101.0.6