[c-nsp] ospf (passive-interface default)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Mar 5 00:31:59 EST 2015

On 3/Mar/15 23:20, Chuck Church wrote:
> Your network statements need to match the interfaces you want added into the
> OSPF process.  Passive-interface doesn't play a part in what does/doesn't
> get inserted into the OSPF process.  Passive-interface turns off the sending
> of hello packets out that interface (and processing of any received).  So
> you can have a network (interface) that is inserted into OSPF, yet can't
> form any neighbors.  The configuration of OSPF directly on interfaces is a
> part of OSPFv3 (for IPv6 only I believe).

Not really.

Since IOS 12.0S, it has been possible to apply OSPFv2 commands at the
interface level to enable OSPF, instead of using "network" statements:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_0s/feature/guide/ospfarea.html

Cisco call(ed) it the "Area Command in Interface Mode for OSPFv2"
feature. How catchy.

This should now be available in every major release of code since the
last 3x years or so (if not earlier). If I were running an OSPF network
(which I do to a small extent for Anycast DNS), I'd use this feature in
lieu of "network" statements.

Mark.