[c-nsp] Cisco console port to USB

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Mar 3 17:59:23 EST 2015

On Mar 3, 2015, at 5:37 PM, Tim Jackson <jackson.tim at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is the best USB to serial adapter ever.
>
> I'm still using mine from ~2004 or so.

Ditto.  I remember using ZTerm back when I bought mine.  A big plus for me is that the Mac driver doesn’t require a restart after install and pulling out the adapter without closing the term program doesn’t cause a kernel panic (in contrast to some other janky adapters I’d tried).

I have no financial stake in these people, but I do love their product catalog:

http://usbgear.com/USB-Serial.html

I have a few of their cheap multi-port boxes out there as ghetto console servers.  I think the oldest is going on at least 8 years now.  And not having to make a bunch of custom cables like I did for the old RocketPort PCI cards, that’s priceless.

Their catalog also generally lists which chipset the adapter uses, which is helpful for Mac and *nix users.

Charles