[c-nsp] ASR902 vs ME3800X

Tim Densmore tdensmore at tarpit.cybermesa.com
Mon Mar 23 15:22:59 EDT 2015

On 3/18/2015 1:49 AM, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On 18/Mar/15 09:37, CiscoNSP List wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Looking at both of these boxes to terminate 10Gb Aggs and a bunch of
>> either VRF or VPLS tails...3800X looks to support more VRF's(2000
>> instances) vs 128 on the ASR902...but we only need a 2 or 3, just a
>> heap of subints/vlan ints in the same vrf, but the 902 looks to be
>> able to give me (With 8x1 Interface module x 4 ) 32 x 1Gb ports and 4
>> x 10Gb ports...price-wise they look pretty close...am I missing
>> something with the ASR902...as they look like a really nice
>> alternative to the ME3800X.....3800X will only give me 24 x 1Gb ports
>> and 2 x 10Gb ports...so would need more of them to accommodate the
>> number of 10G ports I need.
>
> The upgrade path for the ME3600X/3800X is the ASR920.
>
> I'd consider the ASR920 if you're looking at the long-term. My only
> disappointment with the ASR920 as of today is that the 4x 10Gbps
> uplinks do not have 40x or 48x customer-facing ports.
>
> Mark.
Hi Mark,

I'm looking at the asr920s myself - can you give a little more info on
how it's the upgrade path from an me3800x?  I can see that they have
similar stats in some areas, but I'm having a hard time with the idea of
a router being the next step up from a switch, especially given that
we're looking at a quote that's around 4x less than what we have for
3800s.  I'm a product line dunce, though, so any pointers would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim Densmore