[c-nsp] ASR902 vs ME3800X

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Tue Mar 24 06:55:11 EDT 2015

Yeah well the FIB prognoses doesn’t look good at the moment and I don't see folks jumping from 20K to 128K.

>> So the ASR-920-24SZ-M 1RU fixed unit has 24GE and 4x10GE.
>
> This where I need a 48-port version to go with those 4x 10Gbps uplinks.
> Otherwise, what a waste of some good uplink capacity.

We used customer aggregation switches to hang of the 10GE ports and hooked up the box to the rest of the network.
And we would need to do that with these boxes anyways as there are more then 24/48 customers at each of these locations (we used our own infrastructure to aggregate the end customers).
Or you could use the two 10GE ports as E-NNI to your local EthAgg provider -so no need for additional equipment.

> Anyone seen Juniper's ACX5096 box:
>
>     http://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/routing/acx-
> series/acx5000/
>
> Now that's 96x customer-facing, multi-rate (1Gbps/10Gbps) ports, for the
> Metro-E network. I'm salivating over this box, but can't get it yet because it
> has some fundamental things that need to be fixed. Then I'm all over it
> (including it's little brother, the ACX5048).
>
> Mark.

Wow this guy looks fierce, now that is some proper Carrier Ethernet Agg device in terms of rough power (though with Juniper one has to deduct 1/3 to get the real front to back performance).
But will it have the same Carrier Ethernet features as let's say MX boxes?
And yes I know the PBB-EVPN support will possibly be non-existent on MX -so it should not classify as proper Carrier Ethernet box :) .

adam