[c-nsp] ASR902 vs ME3800X

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Mar 24 07:02:00 EDT 2015

On 24/Mar/15 12:55, Adam Vitkovsky wrote:

> Yeah well the FIB prognoses doesn’t look good at the moment and I
> don't see folks jumping from 20K to 128K.

One option is to have multi-level IS-IS (which I don't like, but...) and
leak specifically between levels, if FIB slots are an issue with the
4-port. But I won't decide on a design until I get my hands on the thing.

> We used customer aggregation switches to hang of the 10GE ports and
> hooked up the box to the rest of the network.
> And we would need to do that with these boxes anyways as there are
> more then 24/48 customers at each of these locations (we used our own
> infrastructure to aggregate the end customers).
> Or you could use the two 10GE ports as E-NNI to your local EthAgg
> provider -so no need for additional equipment.

We terminate customers directly to the Metro-E boxes (ME3600X today).
This is why a denser 48-port ASR920 is useful for us. We try to limit
the need for boxes as much as possible, as I'm sure everybody else on
this list does.

The next phase is to build cheaper sub-rings (the 2nd level I was
talking about) which would ordinarily be done by Layer 2 boxes. So if
the 4-port ASR920 can maintain the IP/MPLS-based Metro-E network deeper
into a layered ring, happy days.

> Wow this guy looks fierce, now that is some proper Carrier Ethernet
> Agg device in terms of rough power (though with Juniper one has to
> deduct 1/3 to get the real front to back performance).
> But will it have the same Carrier Ethernet features as let's say MX
> boxes?

It will be a proper Juniper router. So whatever you get on the MX will
appear there too.

The only issue will be if the hardware will support those features. This
is one of the reasons I'm delaying buying it.

> And yes I know the PBB-EVPN support will possibly be non-existent on
> MX -so it should not classify as proper Carrier Ethernet box :) .

If you can get Juniper to commit to your feature requirements, it'll
make it into the ACX.

I haven't spent anytime on EVPN, to be honest.

Mark.