[c-nsp] IP SLA?

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sun Mar 29 12:18:55 EDT 2015

Dan Brisson <dbrisson at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm waiting to hear what the customer has for hardware/software,
> although in that this is a Co-lo environment, it would be nice to have
> a standard method for dual-connecting customers at Layer 3 when the
> next one requests it.   That's what scares me about static routes+BFD.

If you don't have a "customer demarc hardware approved list" (which
I'm guessing is the case since you're still in a wait state for
customer info), then it is by definition impossible to have a
"standard method".  Best you can hope for is two or three methods that
you rank in order of preference, and some number of one-offs.

> So while I hear you re: running an IGP with a customer, I think/hope
> that using Gert's suggestions of separate process ID and good
> filtering in place, I can achieve what I need.  And, it's better than
> doing Spanning Tree with the customer.

I would rank it as "bgp + bfd" first, followed by "static + bfd"
followed by "your choice of separate process IGP with filtering and a
redistribution hairball" as a distant third.  But your mileage,
preferences, and pain tolerance may vary from mine.

-r