[c-nsp] IP SLA?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Mar 29 16:34:53 EDT 2015

On 29/Mar/15 14:46, Dan Brisson wrote:

> I'm waiting to hear what the customer has for hardware/software,
> although in that this is a Co-lo environment, it would be nice to have
> a standard method for dual-connecting customers at Layer 3 when the
> next one requests it.   That's what scares me about static routes+BFD.

BGP is certainly universally standard.

Anything with BFD will depend on software compatibility on the other side.

> So while I hear you re: running an IGP with a customer, I think/hope
> that using Gert's suggestions of separate process ID and good
> filtering in place, I can achieve what I need.  And, it's better than
> doing Spanning Tree with the customer.

EIGRP, as an example, is not standard. So that automatically takes out
customers who do not run Cisco, assuming they are happy running an IGP
with a different AS.

Not being negative, just saying that while an IGP can solve the failure
detection issue faster than BGP can, it opens up other issues you really
need to evaluate. It will be difficult for you to appreciate these
issues until you have experienced them yourself, however.

Mark.