[c-nsp] Monitoring Routing Protocol Neighborships to clients

Nick Cutting ncutting at edgetg.co.uk
Wed May 6 08:25:07 EDT 2015

This question is about how you monitor your neighborship sessions towards clients (with or without vrfs).  Whether it is EIGRP / OSPF / ISIS or BGP - I am interested in how you are doing this.

For example -  EIGRP MIB is an absolute minefield, and I cannot seem to get Neighbor up / neighbor down into our monitoring software (PRTG)

The best indication, is the log message on the routers and switches.

I imagine you larger shops are using splunk or some large syslog processing daemon.

My questions are

(1) Is anyone using the CISCO MIB for neighbor up/down events, in any protocol
(2) If using syslog, what daemon is watching the log (for syslog-ng etc), and generating emails / alerts
(3) who is using EMM to generate alerts ? - this is not available on all of our platforms - we are using IOS / IOS XE / Switches / Routers and ASA's.

And the "new" EMM on ASA 9.3 is very limited.

Thanks,

Nick