[c-nsp] Cheap BGP router for ~20k prefixes

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Sun May 10 15:48:35 EDT 2015

Hi,

We've changed the following settings:

1. Set Latency Sensitve to High  (
http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/latency-sensitive-perf-vsphere55.pdf
)
2. ethernetX.coalescingScheme = "disable" (for all interfaces, but
management on the VM)
3. Pin down memory and CPU (we run a 4 vCPU setup with 4G of RAM)

That gave us a significant boost in PPS - about 80% increase under the same
CPU load.
I have noticed though, that the BFD sessions (there is about 15 of them on
the device) have flapped a few times in the last 2 weeks, so something
still requires tuning (the BFD is at 200ms x 3).
I think the next step will be to try VM-FEX (which can't be ran on the same
hardware that has already a N1000V, which is a pain). If we find the time
we'll also test this under KVM.

kind regards
Pshem