[c-nsp] Virtual CPE as a service on Metro-E last mile - Suggestions/inputs required

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Thu May 21 16:02:07 EDT 2015

OK, I see what you're asking now. You probably do need more than just q-in-q
but it will depend on how big your deployment actually is. Q-in-q can scale
to reasonable sizes in metro deployments, you just need to know the
limitations and be careful. Q-in-q does allow for the use of very
inexpensive CPE equipment.

802.1ad does the "MAC hiding" you're talking about by defining different MAC
address spaces for the customer's interfaces and the service provider's
devices which is different than just stacking multiple tags with q-in-q.
AFAIK, you'll need to use much more capable CPE devices to support this.
Cisco's ME series switches support this, and while I haven't tried them
myself, I see many carriers using small Ciena switches for similar purposes

Unless you have a very large deployment with thousands of sites I don't
think you'll need to use 802.1ah. 802.1ad uses a 12 bit field -- the same
size as that used for VLAN tags -- to support about 4,000 bridge sessions,
each of which can be a separate customer network from the service provider's
perspective. 802.1ah does the same thing but with a 24 bit field to allow
for far more sessions.

My system isn't large enough to need more than 802.1ad, and we use MPLS
after that anyway.

I have a really excellent article about carrier Ethernet protocols around
here somewhere that I can send you if you want. Email me off-list if you're
interested and I'll try to find it.

  -Bill