[c-nsp] outdoor rating

Kenneth M. Chipps Ph.D. chipps at chipps.com
Wed May 27 16:50:45 EDT 2015

I have equipment in a small equipment shelter at the base of a 96 foot tall
tower. The equipment shelter is a small version of one of those wooden
storage sheds hardware places sell. At the other end of the link the
equipment is in a NEMA box rated to Type 4. The storage shed has one screen
type vent. The NEMA box has no openings except were the wiring comes in. I
have had same equipment in these two places for eight years. This is in the
DFW area where the temperatures in the winter go down in the teens and in
the summer it goes often to 110 F.

All the equipment is spare consumer grade. DLink at one end and Netgear at
the other. I selected this equipment because it was the ugliest I had in the
spares box. I think the Netgear switch in the NEMA box cost about $10 at
Staples. All of this has been in operation for eight years. None of it has
failed or even had a hiccup. I have been quite surprised at this.