[c-nsp] Cisco Nexus as MetroE switch?

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Wed Nov 4 11:35:55 EST 2015

Ok so the underlying transport has to be IEEE 802.3 encapsulation.

> > But my understanding is that TRILL is using MAC in MAC encapsulation
> > just like PBB.

I'd like to correct myself here I was digging and actually the top-most/hop-by-hop header (the "in MAC" piece) doesn't really need to be MAC and it can actually be PPP/IP/MPLS/whatever, although only MAC is standardized

> Well, there must be two MAC headers if you want to transport ethernet
> packet inside a container over ethernet network, but similarities with PBB
> end here.
> TRILL introduces its own header with similar information like IP header
> (source/destination addresses, TTL, various flags, maybe options).
> Although TRILL header is smaller and optimized for fast ASICs (for example
> addresses have only 2 bytes to allow faster lookups), TRILL switches *route*
> packets the same way as IP routers do - each hop has its own routing table
> (created dynamically by IS-IS) and makes independent decisions about next
> hop for each packet (with per-flow loadsharing over multiple equal-cost
> paths).
> They also decrement TTL and change outer MAC addresses on each hop,
> perform RPF check for multicast frames etc.

Ok I see what you mean I just got confused by your earlier statements " TRILL *is* internally using L3 backbone to transport ethernet packets" and " TRILL container is basicaly optimised IP container" and immediately I assumed IP addresses and IP backbone as the underlying transport which was a mistake on my part.

But yes I agree that routing or ISIS for that matter is L3 and the TRILL header has L3 properties although I would not call it IP container (maybe OSI Network Layer header just like CLNS/CLNP is).

adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.