[c-nsp] Peering Router/Switch

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sun Oct 4 14:26:25 EDT 2015

> I have been asked to evalute this     Juniper QFX3500-48S4Q
> as a peering device to be installed in Sofia-Connect Internet exchange
> point.
>
> I have no prior experience in peering nor with Juniper, can someone please
> share some light on this subject and whether this device is a good
> candidate for the job.

You need to specify the details. Are you talking about a box to be
used as

1. an L2 interconnect (typically some form of switch), or
2. a peering router (used for BGP peering towards other providers)

According to Juniper,

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/switching/qfx-series/qfx3500/

"The QFX3500 is a high-performance 10GbE top-of-rack or end-of-row
data center switch that can also be deployed in Virtual Chassis,
Virtual Chassis Fabric, or QFabric System architectures."

Thus it may be suitable for the first task, but not obviously suitable
for the second (looks like a maximum of 16K IPv4 routes, for instance).

I would suggest the juniper-nsp list (juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net) as
a more suitable place for a discussion about Juniper equipment.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no