[c-nsp] Cisco Nexus as MetroE switch?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Oct 15 02:16:10 EDT 2015

On 14/Oct/15 23:52, Gavin McBride wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've been evaluating a few platforms for a smallish MetroE-style
> deployment, focused on E-Line services between a number of sites, with n x
> 10G DWDM links between sites.
>
> Looked at the usual suspects e.g. Cisco ME3600X/ME3800X, ASR920, as well as
> Juniper EX4550 and QFX5100.
>
> What I am after is a platform that will give me a bunch (32-40 odd) 1G/10G
> capable SFP+ ports, no need for 40G/100G, and due to starting off smallish,
> probably looking more at a 1RU/2RU box rather than a chassis based solution
> (so no ASR9000 at this point).

If you're looking at multi-rate Ethernet ports (1Gbps/10Gbps) with
10Gbps or 40Gbps uplinks, then the Juniper ACX5000 is your friend.

The ACX is basically a QFX switch, just re-sprayed for the ERBU team at
Juniper.

Personally, I'd stay away from this switch because it runs Broadcom
chipsets, meaning that some of the usual features you're used to in
Junos will not work.

Still waiting for Juniper to get their heads in the Metro-E game before
I can consider buying this switch (or its future cousins) from them. But
if the feature support the Broadcom lacks is fine with you, you should
have at least 80% of the Junos feature set to get your network going.

Mark.