[c-nsp] Cisco Nexus as MetroE switch?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Sat Oct 17 13:24:14 EDT 2015

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015, Mark Walters wrote:

> The 5548/5596 fits that physical requirement, but those have a limited
> feature set with no actual E-line features.
>
> In small PoPs we¹ve used those as simple 1/10G layer2 aggregation switches
> fronted by PEs with E-line features, like ME3600s.
>
> One big caveat in that setup: the N5ks consider MPLS-tagged traffic to be
> ³non-IP², for which the only etherchannel hashing is ³src-dst-mac².  So
> one link in a 4x10G etherchannel can get slammed while the others are
> idle.  We worked around by creating multiple(/parallel) layer3 peerings
> between some devices and manually setting the MAC address on the SVIs to
> influence the hashing decision.  Annoying.

Also, be aware that the Nexus 5500 platform uses cut-through switching to
decrease latency in its intended application (data centers).  In other
applications such as building aggregation or metro-E networks, that can
cause some troubleshooting headaches.

For example, if one port starts receiving bad frames for whatever reason,
those bad frames will be forwarded, because the switch starts forwarding
as soon as it receives the header information.  This can cause several
ports (depending on VLAN, destination MAC addresses, etc) to show output
errors, or the adjacent devices to show input errors on the interfaces
that connect to the Nexus 5K.  Your ops folks need to be aware of this
behavior and know to start their troubleshooting at whichever port on the
Nexus 5K has inbound errors, not all of the ports that show outbound
errors, or the ports on the adjacent devices that show inbound errors.

jms