[c-nsp] Limiting bandwidth from specific source

Jeremy Bresley brez at brezworks.com
Tue Oct 20 09:47:40 EDT 2015

Since you specificially mentioned an ASR1K, if you have the AVC license
($10K list RTU license), you can enable NBAR2 which does identify
Youtube traffic.

Router#sh ip nbar protocol-id youtube

Protocol Name             id            type
youtube                  82            L7 STANDARD

Router#sh ip nbar protocol-attribute youtube

            Protocol Name : youtube
                encrypted : encrypted-yes
                   tunnel : tunnel-no
                 category : consumer-streaming
             sub-category : consumer-video-streaming
        application-group : flash-group
           p2p-technology : p2p-tech-no
            traffic-class : multimedia-streaming
       business-relevance : business-irrelevant

There are some overhead concerns with doing DPI on all your traffic,
make sure you're not turning this on a link or router that is overtaxed,
etc, but it can be done.  We do this on our internal MPLS headends
running on ASR1004/RP2s and don't normally exceed 10-15% CPU usage at
gig speeds.  You can also use the NBAR classifiers in a QoS policy if
they want to rate-limit/shape/police that traffic.

Jeremy "TheBrez" Bresley
brez at brezworks.com