[c-nsp] FEX (6800IA) on Cat6880-X

Nick Cutting ncutting at edgetg.co.uk
Fri Sep 18 03:05:59 EDT 2015

This is the document you need:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6800ia-switch/qa_c67-728684.html

Q.    Can a compact switch be connected to an Instant Access client?
A.     Yes. A compact switch or any other switch can be connected to an Instant Access client host port.
Note:    Any remotely connected switches are not part of the Instant Access domain, so they are independently managed and operate the same as when directly connected to the Catalyst 6500 or 6800 switch.

Q.     Can the Cisco Catalyst 6800ia be configured to operate as a standalone switch in non-FEX mode?
A.     No, a Cisco Catalyst 6800ia can operate only in Instant Access client mode and does not support any local switching. However, the new Instant Access- capable Cisco Catalyst C3560CX-12PD-S and C3560CX-8XPD-S compact switches can operate as standalone switches in non-FEX mode.