[c-nsp] FEX (6800IA) on Cat6880-X

Robert Hass robhass at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 17:55:48 EDT 2015

Hi
I'm just wondering about deployment of 6800IA FEX'es with two 6880-X as
core layer.

Not sure regarding few topics:
1) Do 6800IA have local switching or everything is passing back to 6880-X ?
I mean how communications between two ports is working on same 6800IA unit
if a) two hosts are in same VLAN (Layer2) and b) two hosts are in different
VLANs (inter-VLAN routing is required - SVIs are configured on 6880). Nexus
2K FEXes - they don't have local-switching AFAIK, but what about 6800IA.

2) What about 6800IA buffers ?

3) Can I connect switch to 6800IA ? This was limitation of Nexus 2k FEXes.
How it's looks here ?

4) How much 6800IA I can have connected to two 6880-X ?

5) Are all features like MPLS, VPLS, QoS will work or 6800IA or there is
some limitations ?

6) Any remarks about stability / software bugs of this technology ?

Rob